Monday, December 6, 2010

Tattoos for bakers!

My wonderful friend and prior college roommate sent me the coolest birthday gift this year! Knowing my recent love for baking, she supplied me with the a Charm City Cakes cake tattoo kit, a box of funfetti cake mix and icing, and some striped icing: all the makings for a fun day of baking!

Sticking to college traditions, I opted to make cookies from my cake mix and cut the tattoos out accordingly. I made the cookies following the directions on the side panel, like always.

The fun part came in opening the cake tattoos. The tattoo sheets were already cut for a 2 tier cake, but I patiently cut them down using the provided guide and my trusty xacto knife. After the cookies cooled, I applied the frosting and smoothed the tattoos on to each cookie. The tattoo itself resembles a thin paper. I think it was the same stuff they use to apply pictures to cakes at the store, but instead of a picture you have a cool design.

The tattoo kit came with two different designs. One was a paisley design and the other was a cool striped pattern. I thought the stripes were my favorite before applying the tattoo, but afterwards I was really favoring the paisley. I couldn't tell you why...

The icing turned out to be really cool and funky too. It also worked out and covered some little paper cutting mistakes (the paper isn't always easy to peal off). I gave it a go and tried to ice a cookie, but the result wasn't very pretty. I then recruited D and Viola: beautiful cookies! That boy is always impressing me.

The icing turned out so cool with blue and yellow/green strips. It came with two tubes of icing and two different types of icing tips. I was amazed with how perfect the two colors squeezed out. D really did a wonderful job, don't you think?

The finished product was as tasty as ever. Like I said before the striped icing was a little sweet, but other than that the cookie was delicious. You couldn't taste the tattoo and you could hardly feel the texture. Let's just say if someone didn't know you put the tattoo on, they wouldn't notice the difference in texture!

5 comments:

  1. These are so cute. What a great gift to get from your friend. I think the next time I try the cake tattoo I am going to make cookies or cupcakes. I didn't have as much success with the tiered cake, but I should probably try it again. I really like the striped frosting too.

    I am now following your blog. Follow mine if you want to: http://phdcupcaker.blogspot.com. Your post made me realize that I have lots of pics to post. I need to get on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine - I really enjoyed doing the cookies, I was so afraid my cake wouldn't be the right size for the tattoo! I can't wait to see your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Charm City ones are great - I don't think they ship to Australia though. I still love my ticings ones - www.katecupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to read an awesome post about these tattoos! I was wondering how they tasted/ worked. Your cookies are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie- I can't wait to see the final project on your blog!

    Miss DNA- They really are wonderful, I hope you go out and get some! If you do let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete