Monday, August 9, 2010

SmokeShackBBQ


Who doesn't love barbeque? It's one of the great american delicacies, a food that brings families together on the weekends and makes grandchildren drool over nana's secret recipes. Ok, well maybe it's not all that to you in particular. Heck, it's not even all that to me, but just like anyone else me and D get our BBQ cravings. And when we do, we don't look to Sonny's or Dustin's. No, we venture to the award winning SmokeShackBBQ.

The SmokeShack has won just under 150 different awards at various competitions across the country. That's right. They are serious about barbecuing. Trophies and decorative pigs line the walls, shelves and counters at the wooden shack located at 1105 N. US1, Ormond Beach, FL.

Slammed during Daytona's famous Bike Week, the SmokeShack remains pretty calm through the rest of the year and today's beautiful Monday was no different. Normally me and D are down for scrumptious pulled pork sandwiches, but I decided to be daring today and go with the daily special of Sliced Meatloaf with a side of green beans ($5). I've never tried any meatloaf except for my mama's good ole' ketchup loaded meatloaf, so i was pleasantly surprised with my daringness.

The meatloaf had great texture and flavor. Nice and soft, it tasted of barbeque sauce rather than ketchup and tasted slightly smoked. It even came with a piece of bread that I effectively used to make a half of meatloaf sandwich.The side of green beans came in a hearty portion, but weren't anything worth writing about, just some typical greens.

D went with our usual choice of a regular size pork sandwich with a side of macaroni and cheese ($6.50). The pork sandwich as always was delicious with some added tangy and hot barbeque sauces. The bun is similar to a typical hamburger bun from your local food mart. Not spectacular bread, but it's really all about the pork, isn't it?


They must serve the creamiest, cheesiest, most wonderful macaroni and cheese around. Too bad it only comes as a side, because some
days I could make this my meal! It's so incredibly soft and mushy, you probably really don't need your teeth. This paired with a pork sandwich and you've got yourself some good eats.

Don't worry about finding a barbeque sauce to like, they have plenty to choose from. In fact, they have six choices on every single table. Ranging from, hot and mild, to sweet and tangy (my personal fave).

SmokeShackBBQ is a great little spot for lunch if your craving some standup barbeque. I can only complain about the drinks. I can understand a $1.99 at a restaurant, but not at a wood shack that doesn't even have a fountain machine. Yup, we're talking about $1.99 for a coke product bottle or tea. We all know how much those bottles of soda cost. Come on now?

I highly recommend a trip to SmokeShackBBQ next time your eager for a pulled pork sandwich and don't feel like laboriously cooking! For more information check out their website for hours, more photos and a menu.

- A

Smoke Shack BBQ on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog and welcome to the blogosphere. We get down to Florida at least once a year so I'll have to keep up with your adventures to learn the best places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you do! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kinds of barbecue sauces do they have? I have a soft spot for places that offer a variety of sauces, although my favorite is a vinegar/chili flake sauce (which is almost impossible to find out here in California; I often make my own and take it to a restaurant with me.)

    I'm glad to have found your blog, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least seven different kinds. I can remember, sweet, sweet 2, tangy, sweet and tangy, a mustartdy/barbequy yummy one, a vinegar one, a hot one, regular and I want to say more. It's so much fun to just go in their and try them!

    Thanks for stopping by the blog, hope you continue to check it out!

    ReplyDelete