Friday, October 21, 2011

27 Fathoms

As a society we surround ourselves with as much beauty as possible. Whether people, artwork or even our food, we crave the aesthetically pleasing. A delicious and attractive meal will receive much more attention than that ok looking delicious one. Nowhere have I been, that they take such care to beautifully present a delectable meal like they do at 27 Fathoms.

This past Friday evening D and I headed down to the Pavilion at Port Orange, after being invited to check out the new eatery, 27 Fathoms. The not too large, pleasantly quaint restaurant has a very subtle nautical them with incredible ambiance. Abstract photos of water adorn the walls, while lighthouse-like light fixtures hang from the ceiling. Although we sat at one of their high-top bistro tables, I did notice that the bar had purse hooks. I know I hate setting my purse on the floor or on the back of my chair for people to knock into. No problem here, they have hooks on their bar to hang your bag. ,vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

After quickly glancing over the appetizers, D and I put in our selection. While continuing to peruse the menu, our waitress Melissa brought out some roasted red pepper humus and chips for dipping to “snack” on. Different variations of hummus and even crab dip occur on various nights. As this was my first time trying flavored humus, I was surprised on how I liked it compared to regular hummus. Made in house, it had a good, but subtle flavor. fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

After snacking on a few chips with dip, our Fried Green Tomato Tower ($7) arrived. Nice thick slices of fried green tomatoes are stacked in a tower and beautifully presented at the end of a garlic peppercorn aioli swipe. I almost regretted ordering the appetizer, unaware that we would be receiving the hummus snack, but I quickly removed that thought after tasting the fried green tomatoes. As it was my first time trying the southern delight, I was blown away. The tomatoes themselves were full of incredible flavor. Add the garlic peppercorn aioli and they were out of this world. The aioli accentuated the taste of the tomatoes while giving them an extra little garlic kick that was most enjoyable. .vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Next came our entrees. I ordered the 8 oz Filet Mignon ($22), which was seared and served atop a wild mushroom and leak potato croquette, next to a swish of broccoli puree and charred pearl onions. I’ve had a lot of filet mignons, but never has one melted in my mouth like this before. Cooked medium and paired with the croquette, the combination was flawless. Not only did they taste as if they were made for each other, but the different yet similarly soft textures melded well together. Next to the delicious stack, the broccoli purée and pearled onions waited to be tasted. Both slightly sweet, tastes of either dispersed between bites of steak sweetened the stack. The overall plate was not only designed to be aesthetically pleasing, but also to ignite your taste buds in delight. .vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

D, the ever-loving sushi fanatic, ordered a couple rolls off their sushi menu. First came the Boomshakalaka ($14) containing seven spice scallops, snow crab, smoked bacon, asparagus, cucumber, scallion, macadamia dust and kabayaki glaze.
Larger than life, this roll was quite the mouthful. It’s sweet and delicious with combined flavors of macadamia nuts and scallops. Next, D attempted to tackle the 27 Fathom’s roll ($14). Cucumbered wrapped, their namesake roll includes yellow fin tuna, snow crab, shrimp, asparagus, cream cheese, scallion and citrus ponzu. A rollercoaster of flavors, the 27 Fathom’s was spicy, sweet, salty and then spicy again. Although beautifully presented around a lobster tail shell, D was unable to conquer it after consuming the entire Boomshakalaka roll. Considering the large size of their rolls, I think D will only be ordering one next time. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

After eating what we could and taking a few moments to digest, out server brought out an amazing platter full of their different desserts. With something for every one’s craving, my jagged sweet tooth was humming with excitement. Unable to choose just one, I went with the

Dulce De Leche Chocolate Bomb ($6) and the Key Lime Tartlet ($5). While the bomb was delicious in a chocolate covered peanut butter way, the tartlet was absolutely phenomenal. As much as I love chocolate, and trust me I love chocolate, I’ll choose key lime pie every time. The tartlet, served with a raspberry paint and whipped cream, was unlike any key lime treat I’ve ever had. With a more intense key lime flavor, the tartlet was nestled on a very subtle grahm cracker crust. A bite on its own was delicious, but a bite with the raspberry sauce and whipped cream was extraordinary. This dessert alone makes 27 Fathoms someplace to revisit for me. vvvv cvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

In the end D and I had an amazing evening at 27 Fathoms. It’s definitely someplace I see us going to celebrate special occasions. In fact it’s a restaurant I would recommend for couples or even a group of friends, but probably not children. The service was spectacular, especially our server Melissa. Overall, dining at 27 Fathoms was a foodie experience unlike any other. Their use of all fresh ingredients combined with beautiful presentation and ambiance, made for an unforgettable time.

- A

5635 S. Williamson Blvd., Suite 656, Port Orange, FL 32128

(386) 256-4791

Serving Brunch, Lunch and Dinner

Open Tuesday – Saturday: Lunch from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Dinner from 4 to 10 p.m.

Open Sundays: Brunch from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Dinner from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

27 Fathoms on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, this place is amazing !!! The Management and staff are second to none. I would have to place them in my personal top 3 eateries that I have experienced. I say go there and treat yourself to a well prepared and beautifully presented meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, what would be your other two in your top three?

    ReplyDelete