Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Hyppo Gourmet Popsicles

Ice cream, frozen yogurt, gelato… old St. Augustine has it all. Now they’ve got the original treat on a stick at Hyppo Popsicles on Hypolita Street. Not your average popsicle, flavors range from strawberry banana to mango habanera, and their not exactly dainty.

While exploring St. Augustine one Saturday afternoon, my BFF L and I deemed it necessary to have an ice-cold snack in our hands. Just off the beaten path, a little down Hypolita St. we found the quaint Hyppo Popsicles.

Deceiving from the outside, the interior of the popsicle place is an explosion of colors and cute animated hippos. A simple setup includes a kitchen, a cooler for popsicle storage and an iPad for a register. That’s right an iPad, my receipt was sent to me in a text.


When we walked in, there were only a couple of people in front of us. But by the time we were headed out, the little shop had filled up. All the popsicles are the same shape and size. The cooler hold flavors like datil strawberry, pineapple cilantro, Riesling pear and Mexican hot chocolate, as well as some tamer flavors like strawberry banana, orange crème, coconut coconut and banilla vanana.


Although I was tempted to play it safe with strawberry banana, I decided to be a little more daring and go with the key lime popsicle. L, clearly in the mood for some bubbly, went with mango champagne. At $3.50 each, we grabbed our frozen snacks and hit the streets once more.

As we walked the streets feverishly licking out popsicles, I began to notice patrons everywhere doing the same thing. From children to adults, everyone seemed to be enjoying a delicious popsicles from Hyppo.

I particularly loved my key lime flavor choice as did Leanne, who ended up helping me finish the popsicle. It was a little sweet and mostly tart, just like any good key lime pie. They only thing missing was the graham cracker crust, but I’m not quite sure how that would have tasted on a popsicle. L also thoroughly enjoyed her choice of mango champagne. More mango than champagne, it was perfectly refreshing on the warm Saturday afternoon.


Overall, we had a great time licking on our popsicles while enjoying the streets of old St. Augustine. The gourmet flavors were delicious and their wide selection already has me planning my next visit.

- A


the Hyppo Gourmet Popsicles

15 Hypolita St., St. Augustine, FL 32084

(904) 217-7853

Open Monday to Thursday: 12 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Friday to Sunday: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.

The Hyppo on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. Whenever someone visits, I am almost forceful in making them bypass the ice cream, and heading to Hyppo. It helps that I walk really fast, causing everyone to crave something cold, lest they expire from heat exhaustion. This works well with us older folks, who can't sprint down St. George, like you youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, nice technique! What's your favorite flavor? I can wait to go back up there and give it a second go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited this place last time I was in St. Augustine and loved it! I ordered a popsicle called Elvis Presley ( I think?) with banana, peanut butter, and vanilla. It was the best popsicle I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM, that one does sound good. Sounds a lot like an awesome milkshake I had down in Ft. Lauderdale. My other half, D, is dying to check this place out! So, naturally I'm already planning my popsicle choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep trying to catch them open on Flagler beach :( but I think they abandoned it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @stampylisa Aww, that would stink as that is the closest location to me as well. Might just have to go up to St. Augustine and make a day out of it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love The Hyppo, too! :) It's a local gem for sure.

    ReplyDelete